Wednesday, January 25, 2012

FO: Items for Baby!

So for those of you who don't know, I have an extremely large family. Anyone who's parents were baby boomers might be able to relate to my situation. On my fathers side I have 9 aunts and uncles, on my mothers 8. Then add all their spouses, and children, plus grandparents and grand aunts and uncles. That's a lot of people! Some of my oldest cousins are starting to become grandparents! Most of my cousins on my fathers side are in their mid twenties now, at least the first half of them. I'm somewhere in the middle of the pack. So that means for the past few years between my cousins and I there have been lots of weddings!! So now the next phase has begun, queue the babies.

My oldest cousin got the ball rolling before all of us and his little boy is around 8 or 9 months old now. Then the other day I got an invitation to my cousin Sara's baby shower. I had to make something of course! I've been itching for a chance to make some adorable baby items for awhile now! I know not everyone has someone they know who will make a lovely baby afghan for them, and I think everyone should have one! Of course chances are equal she might end up with 5 but then who has too many baby blankets? So anyways that's my story and I hope Sara doesn't read this blog because she'll be ruining her surprise. Don't tell ok!



First I made a quick hat and booties using this pattern from Ravelry found here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/crochet-baby-warmers-set

I used some discontinued Berroco Lullaby yarn that I acquired and this was the perfect use for it! The nylon fibers make this hat so stretchy and soft! Perfect for a little baby! Its not as durable and washable as acrylic but for a hat and booties lets hope they don't get as much wear and tear. The pattern says it should fit all the way up to one year. It might be a little loose for a newborn but I'm sure it will fit for a majority of that first year! It's absolutely precious.





And finally my One-Pound baby blanket. Found here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/one-skein-baby-blanket

I made this from a 16oz skein of Caron International in cream. At first I was just going to leave it yellow but I couldn't resist adding the blue so I modified the border and added a puff stitch border instead. I think it turned out lovely. The worsted weight yarn and the cross-dc pattern helped this blanket come together pretty thick. It doesn't drape as well, but I can see it being a great blanket for when the baby plays on the floor. It should provide lots of padding! Since I kept it simple I was able to finish the blanket in 3 days, because the shower is only in a few weeks. I didn't want to start something too complicated out of fear that I wouldn't finish in time! Along the way I did find several patterns I will definitely have to make later when I have more time. 

You can find my Ravelry Projects here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think of my posts. I love to hear from you <3