Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Raspberry Beret





Here is the lovely beret I made yesterday. This is the same sale yarn from before that I used to make the pink scarf. This one was the only skein left and I just couldn't leave it behind! I love the beautiful raspberry color. It was (almost) the right amount of yarn to make this hat.

I used a very interesting and new technique to create this hat, I really enjoyed it. Basically the reason why this hat looks the way it does is because this is actually the "wrong" side of the crochet. But using this technique the "wrong" side is actually the "right" side! It goes to show you that there are no hard rules for anything right! I actually half double crocheted through the back loop and the back horizontal bar of the hdc and it creates this look! On the inside there is a line on each row where the front loop was skipped, which might also look cool but in this case I liked this side better.

I found the pattern on Ravelry here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sun-ray-slouch and she explains the technique really well in the pattern.

I did find that the yarn I used, which was a DK just like the pattern says, might have been a little to small. I wasn't able to quite fit in the 5 rows of brimming out of my 127 yrds, but I just about made it. I was afraid at first that the hat would be too small but once I blocked it then it got a lot bigger. So I think it will all be ok in the end! I just think my hat will be a little more lacy than hers. Now that I think about it my yarn might be a DK but a baby DK? I'm unsure if that even exists and if there is a difference. But regardless I'm sure different yarn types always end up differently.

I'll have more pictures up once it dries :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think of my posts. I love to hear from you <3